BENEFITS & TIPS
Industry Certified Staff
Benefits of Light Exposure
A Canadian piece of research (Kimball 2017) just out showed that you can reach optimum vitamin D levels following the exposure schedule of a sunbed that emits UVB light and have no adverse effects. No pills required! According to the Statistics Canada; 14 million Canadian are vitamin D deficient (Health Canada recommends a blood level of 50nmol/L for skeptical health) and vitamin D levels just in 6 years (2010 to 2016) has dropped 13%. Food sources have limited amounts of vitamin D, for example one egg you get 25 UI and vitamin D research suggest you need between 4000 and 6000 IU a day. According to 40 vitamin D researchers the optimum blood level should be 100 to 150 nmol/L. Based on optimum levels, 93% of Canadian are vitamin D deficient.
Refer to the following websites to read about the many benefits of Vitamin D and sunlight:
Ultraviolet tanning rays (UVA and UVB) are harmful to your eyes. Eyelids are too thin to provide adequate protection against injury. Eye goggles are available for purchase and must be worn.
Allow a minimum of 24 hours between tanning sessions. Tanning professionals recommend waiting 48 to 72 hours, the span of time necessary for your skin to recover from UV exposure, and to create melanin and a tan.
Your skin is constantly exposed to the elements: wind, sun, water, heat, cold – all drying your skin, causing your skin to flake off, and there goes your tan as well. Moisturizing is key to a long-lasting tan. Also, dry skin tends to reflect UV-light, thus decreasing your tanning potential. Remember: Healthy and moist skin tans faster and darker.
Lips cannot produce melanin, and are not capable of tanning. Protect your lips with a lip balm that contains sunblock.
UV-light may cause color to fade. Cover tattoos with an SPF sunscreen or sunblock.
RASH or ITCHING
Some people may get a slight reaction or an itching sensation. Unless you are on medication that is photosensitive or you are sensitive to sunlight, this is usually a minor heat rash which will go away. Wait a day or two before you tan again. Certain cosmetics, foods and medications can cause sensitivity to sunlight. If you are concerned, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
OUTSIDE OILS and LOTIONS
Outdoor products are intended to be used outdoors. They create a film that damages the tanning bed acrylic, and inhibits your body from tanning.
TANNING ACCELERATORS and MAXIMIZERS
Your body makes use of many ingredients in addition to UV-light to produce a tan. Indoor tanning accelerators are designed to provide you with a balanced amount of these essential ingredients to achieve a better tan. Many advanced products also contain skin care components that help support your skin during UV exposure.
SKIN TYPE CHARACTERISTICS & RECOMMENDATIONS
SKIN TYPE: 1
FEATURES: Red hair with blue or green eyes and freckles
SKIN CHARACTERISTICS: Bright white skin that always burns and never tans.
RECOMMENDED TANNING FREQUENCY: Should avoid sun exposure both indoors or out. This skin type is unable to produce enough melanin to protect them from sunburns. Skin Type 1 are not allowed to use a sunbed, we suggest trying our cosmetic tanning from our spray booth or products.
SKIN TYPE: 2
FEATURES: Blonde or red hair, brown or blue eyes and freckles
SKIN CHARACTERISTICS: Light colored skin, which burns easily but can tan in moderation.
RECOMMENDED TANNING FREQUENCY: Can be exposed to indoor tanning rays in moderation and in very short periods of exposure. Extreme caution should be taken to avoid sunburn.
SKIN TYPE: 3
FEATURES: Brown eyes and darker hair. Most common in North America.
SKIN CHARACTERISTICS: Tans easily, but still susceptible to moderate sunburn.
RECOMMENDED TANNING FREQUENCY: Can expect a rich, golden tan, indoor or outdoors, when exposed 10 to 15 minutes 2 – 3 times per week (indoors).
SKIN TYPE: 4
FEATURES: Dark eyes, dark hair and Mediterranean, Oriental or Hispanic heritage.
SKIN CHARACTERISTICS: Tans easily and almost never burns.
RECOMMENDED TANNING FREQUENCY: Can be exposed to tanning rays for longer periods of time (indoors and outdoors).
SKIN TYPE: 5
FEATURES: Dark hair and eyes and are of Indian, Hispanic or African descent.
SKIN CHARACTERISTICS: Rarely burns and tans easily and cumulatively.
RECOMMENDED TANNING FREQUENCY: Can be exposed to tanning rays for longer periods of time (indoors and outdoors).
SKIN TYPE: 6
FEATURES: Dark hair and usually are of African, or Aboriginal descent.
SKIN CHARACTERISTICS: Can tan despite their black skin. Never sunburn.
RECOMMENDED TANNING FREQUENCY: Usually tans indoors for the health benefits of moderate exposure to sunlight and/or medical reasons.
Infrared Sauna Benefits
Infrared Saunas differ from traditional saunas as it uses infrared energy to directly penetrate into the body’s tissue up to 1.5 inches to produce sweating. Lower temperatures make the environment more tolerable, while also allowing you to breath easier. Infrared energy is not only safe, but is also highly beneficial for our bodies. Far Infrared lamps are actively used for medical treatments by physicians and chiropractors, as well as physical and massage therapists.
Infrared Saunas are linked with treating & preventing:
- Body Detoxification
- Immune System Enhancement
- Pain Relief From Arthritis
- Helps Reduce Cellulite
- Skin Beautification
- Decreases Joint Stiffness
- Eases Muscle Spasms
- Increases Blood Circulation
- Cardiovascular Conditioning
- Helps Remove Scars, Rashes, and Acne
- Reduces Stress and Fatigue
- Calorie Consumption and Weight Loss
Infrared Sauna Tips
- Take a hot/warm shower or bath before using your sauna to help you perspire more.
- Drink water prior to, during, and after your sauna session to replenish body fluids.
- To regulate the set temperature inside the sauna to your comfort level, use the movable roof ventilation.
- At the first sign of a cold or flu, increasing your sauna sessions may be beneficial in boosting your immune system and decreasing the reproductive rate of viruses.
- To help relieve sore and tense muscles, massage the affected areas during your sauna session.
- After the sauna session is over, your body will continue to perspire. It is important not to take a shower or bath immediately after your sauna. After about 30 minutes and when your body has completely cooled down, you can take a shower to rinse the perspiration off your body.
- Do not use the sauna immediately following strenuous exercises. Wait at least 30 minutes to allow the body to cool down completely.
- Pregnant or possibly pregnant women should contact their physician prior to using the sauna. Excessive temperature has a high potential for causing fetal damage during pregnancy.
- Hyperthermia Danger: the normal body temperature can’t rise above 39°C (103°F). Symptoms of excessive hyperthermia include dizziness, lethargy, drowsiness, and fainting. The effects of excessive hyperthermia may include failure to perceive heat, physical inability to exit sauna, unawareness of impending hazard, unconsciousness and fetal damage in pregnant women. Hyperthermia could make your body’s core temperature rise. Setting desired temperature to an excessively high temperature is not recommended.
- The use of alcohol, drugs, or medications prior to or during the sauna session may lead to unconsciousness and/or other harmful physical injuries.
- Persons suffering from obesity or with a medical history of heart disease, low or high blood pressure, circulatory system problems, or diabetes should consult a physician prior to using the sauna.
- Persons using medications should consult a physician before using the sauna. Some medications may induce drowsiness while others may affect the heart rate, blood pressure, and/or blood circulation.
- Never sleep inside the sauna.
Spray Tan Benefits
- Some of us tolerate our freckles; some of us hate them! Love them or hate them, we know that it is sun exposure that triggers them. With spray tanning products, you can help make those freckles appear less obvious.
- For some of us, it is quite simply impossible to get a natural tan. Spray tanners are literally the only option.
- Consider the convenience – a matter of some minutes with a spray tan versus spending hours in the sun or a tanning bed over the course of several days to develop a healthy UV tan.
- A spray tan is a useful way to cover up the blemishes. Uneven skin tone, scars and even those spider veins are effortlessly hidden from sight.
- Another benefit of spray tanning is that it allows you to go au naturale. Skip the foundation and the blush and let your smooth, beautifully bronzed skin shine through!
Spray Tan Tips
- Waxing, shaving and any spa treatments should be done 24 hours in advance, this is largely to do with the products interacting with the spray tan solutions.
- Exfoliate before your appointment. Extra focus should be placed on your elbows, knees, hands and feet.
- VersaSpa SunlessPro Pre-Tan Exfoliant is recommended as a proper exfoliant. This product is formulated to gently strip away dead skin cells while improving the skin’s texture and tone. The exfoliant is designed to create a perfectly smooth canvas for even absorption of your spray tanning application.
- Avoid the following products, as they are known to form barriers or films on the skin and will adversely interact with the spray tan solutions: Dove Body Wash, Oil of Olay Body Wash, Ivory Body Wash, and Shave Foams or Gels.
Now that you’ve properly prepared your skin, it’s time to get that golden bronzed glow your friends will rave about!
- No lotions (unless spray tan/sunless approved), no deodorant, perfumes or makeup, eye makeup is okay.
- Cleansing towlettes are provided if any of the above are used. Store bought makeup remover will interfere with spray tan application so please come to the studio to remove any product.
- Make sure to wear dark, loose fitting clothing and flip flops.
- Be aware that a bra can create rub lines, a supportive tank top is suggested.
- A pre-tan intensifier or spray is essential to a beautiful even tan. Infused with vitamin D3, caffeine and avocado oil it not only primes the skin but fights aging.
- Avoid showering, perspiring or coming in contact with any water for 6-12 hours. This includes rain!
- Rinse your hands 2 hours following to ensure a natural look.
You are now a bronzed babe, how do you stay that way?
- After 4-6 hours, shower in warm water using only spray tan/sunless approved body wash. Dry off with a fluffy towel and apply a spray tan/sunless moisturizer immediately.
- Maintain your spray tan with SunlessPro 360ᵒ Spray – spray over any uneven areas or to maintain a gradual tan that will eventually fade evenly.
- Avoid spraying perfumes directly onto your skin, use a fine misting technique instead.
- Avoid lotions, cleansers, soaps that contain alcohol, glycolic alpha hydroxyl or sodium laureth sulphate, they will remove your tan immediately.
- Avoid long soaks in hot tubs or long swims in chlorinated pools. This will not remove your tan, but it will dramatically accelerate the fading process.
This short video will give you an idea of what your experience will be like.
Teeth Whitening Benefits
- According to a national survey by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 96% of adults believe an attractive smile makes a person more appealing to the opposite gender, and 74% of adults feel an unattractive smile can hurt a person’s chances for career success. Having a clean, straight smile that you feel confident about enhances your social and career opportunities.
- Improves appearance dramatically – it is an excellent way to improve one’s appearance and this is mainly the reason why people usually have their teeth whitened and why teeth whitening has become widely popular among the 21st century crowd. Having a beautiful smile is now within the reach of anybody who wants it.
- Boosts self-confidence – looking good very often influences how people feel about themselves. Therefore, the teeth whitening process also improves a person’s self-confidence and the personal feel-good factor.
- Improves attractiveness – it is easier to kiss someone who has excellent looking teeth rather than one who has brown, gray or yellow stained teeth.
- Is very affordable – in general teeth whitening has become one of the favorite ways of improving appearance for the simple reason that it is fast and affordable. You can change your appearance a great deal with a simple teeth whitening procedure, rather than having a wardrobe makeover.
- A whiter smile tends to minimize the appearance of facial wrinkles, giving way to a more youthful and energetic appearance.
- Finally, one of the biggest advantages of teeth whitening is that it does not have any harmful side effects on your teeth – teeth in need of whitening are not in any kind of disorder; it is just that they are stained.
Teeth Whitening Tips
Did you know certain lip colors can actually make your teeth look significantly whiter (or darker)? Learn how to pick the right shade for you. If you have grayish teeth, avoid red lipsticks with blue tones and instead try a cooler tone with a brown base. Nude pinks with an almost brownish hue are best. If you have a yellow or off-white tone to your teeth, avoid deep, dark and bright shades, as well as super-shiny glosses.
Go For a Bronzed Look
Tan, golden skin goes a long way toward making your eyes and teeth pop. Whether at the beach or with UV or Sunless beds, give your skin an even, healthy-looking glow.
Whiten While You Chew
While certain foods such as soy sauce, berries and curry stain your enamel, fibrous foods like apples, celery, carrots, spinach, broccoli and lettuce actually work to remove stains by exfoliating teeth before the stain molecules attach themselves deeply to the surface. It’s like a skin scrub for your smile.
Pick Rhinestone and Silver Jewelry
Need another reason to add more sparkle to your outfit? Wearing accessories made of silver, white gold and diamonds (or even fake diamonds!) highlights the white accents in your teeth. However, stay away from yellow gold, it exaggerates any yellowish tones in the enamel.
Dress to Impress
A bright white shirt will only accentuate less-than-white teeth. Instead, choose an off-white or cream-colored shade. Reducing the contrast will result in the appearance of a whiter smile.
Drink Through a Straw
Red wine, cranberry juice or any chromogenic, or pigmented, liquids that tend to seep into enamel are better sipped through a straw. Even then, brush immediately after drinking a stain-producing beverage so that it doesn’t have a chance to set into the tooth’s molecules.
Invest in an Electric Toothbrush
A product that has stood the test of time is the electric toothbrush. These devices are the most effective at removing extrinsic stains, which are embedded on the exterior of the tooth surface (such as in the calculus or plaque) and result from repeated interaction with food debris, tobacco smoke, wine and other sources
The medical information provided here is, at best, of a general nature and cannot substitute for the advice of a medical professional (for instance, a qualified doctor/physician, nurse, pharmacist/chemist, and so on).
The statements made within this website have not been evaluated by the Health Canada.
The information provided is believed to be accurate based on the best judgment of the author but the reader is responsible for consulting with their own health professional on any matters raised within.
While every effort will be made to continually research and review various health-related information, In addition, the viewer of this site is advised that medical information is continually evolving.
The human body is complex to say the least. Although each person is similar in general structure and function, each is also uniquely different, responding differently to similar stimuli, therapies and conditions. While there are groups which are statistically at risk of being very low on vitamin D, what may help one person in a certain circumstance or condition, may not help another.
It is important to us that our readers are fully informed as it relates to all aspects of our publication. One of the controversial issues we address regularly has to do with exposure to UV-B light and the production of Vitamin D as well as the associated benefits. Along with Vitamin D production exposure to UV-B light can result in a tan something we believe is beneficial to human health if done responsibly. In light of that we ask you to consider the following: Tanning, whether by sunlight or sunbed, may cause pre-mature aging of the skin and skin cancer. Exposure to UV-B, whether by sunlight or by sunbed, produces Vitamin D in the body. However, mild exposure to UV-B is sufficient. Tanning is not required to generate Vitamin D. Vitamin D levels in the body may be maintained or increased by oral supplements without tanning. Increased Vitamin D levels have been associated in some studies with a reduced risk of such conditions as breast, colon, prostate and ovarian cancers, multiple sclerosis and diabetes. These associations have not been proven conclusively. Further information on Vitamin D and human health is available at Pubmed.com, the site of the United States National Institutes of Health.