There are great benefits that indoor tanning has to offer. So use your common sense, tan in moderation, don’t let yourself burn, and enjoy these benefits.
Benefits of Vitamin D ExposureMany doctors now agree that moderate exposure to UV lights is good for your health because it is the only way the body can produce Vitamin D.
A tanning session can give you up to 20,000 units of Vitamin D when compared to 1,000 units received from a portion of fish or a glass of Vitamin D fortified milk. With 97% of Canadians being Vitamin D deficient, it is absolutely critical to ensure the body receives a healthy and essential dose of Vitamin D.
Refer to the following websites to read about the many benefits of Vitamin D and learn more about the many conditions it is linked with treating & preventing.
Vitamin D is linked with treating & preventing:
– General muscle & joint pain
– Restless sleep
– Poor concentration
– Bladder Problems
– Constipation or diarrhea
– Reduced PMS Symptoms
Ultraviolet tanning rays (UVA and UVB) are harmful to your eyes. Eyelids are too thin to provide adequate protection against injury. Eye goggles are available for purchase and must be worn.
Allow a minimum of 24 hours between tanning sessions. Tanning professionals recommend waiting 48 to 72 hours, the span of time necessary for your skin to recover from UV exposure, and to create melanin and a tan.
Your skin is constantly exposed to the elements: wind, sun, water, heat, cold – all drying your skin, causing your skin to flake off, and there goes your tan as well. Moisturizing is key to a long-lasting tan. Also, dry skin tends to reflect UV-light, thus decreasing your tanning potential. Remember: Healthy and moist skin tans faster and darker.
Lips cannot produce melanin, and are not capable of tanning. Protect your lips with a lip balm that contains sunblock.
UV-light may cause color to fade. Cover tattoos with an SPF sunscreen or sunblock.
Rash or Itching
Some people may get a slight reaction or an itching sensation. Unless you are on medication that is photosensitive or you are sensitive to sunlight, this is usually a minor heat rash which will go away. Wait a day or two before you tan again. Certain cosmetics, foods and medications can cause sensitivity to sunlight. If you are concerned, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Outside Oil And Lotions
Outdoor products are intended to be used outdoors. They can cause a film on tanning bed acrylics, and actually inhibits your body from tanning.
Your body makes use of many ingredients in addition to UV-light to produce a tan. Indoor tanning accelerators are designed to provide you with a balanced amount of these essential ingredients to achieve a better tan. Many advanced products also contain skin care components that help reverse the damaging effects of UV light and improve the condition of your skin.
For added comfort and circulation, change positions slightly by moving around a bit while lying down. Areas with impaired circulation will cause little or no tanning to occur.
Type Features Skin Characteristics Recommended Tanning Frequency 1 Red hair with blue or green eyes and freckles Bright white skin that burns easily and rarely tans Should avoid sun exposure both indoors or out. This skin type is unable to produce enough melanin to protect them from sunburns. 2 Blonde or red hair, brown or blue eyes and freckles Light colored skin, which burns easily but can tan in moderation. Can be exposed to indoor tanning rays in moderation and in very short periods of exposure. Extreme caution should be taken to avoid sunburn. 3 Brown eyes and darker hair. Most common in North America. Tans easily, but still susceptible to moderate sunburn. Can expect a rich, golden tan, indoor or outdoors, when exposed 10 to 15 minutes 2 – 3 times per week (indoors). 4 Dark eyes, dark hair and Mediterranean, Oriental or Hispanic heritage. Tans easily and almost never burns. Can be exposed to tanning rays for longer periods of time (indoors and outdoors). 5 Dark hair and eyes and are of Indian, Hispanic or African descent. Rarely burns and tans easily and cumulatively. Can be exposed to tanning rays for longer periods of time (indoors and outdoors). 6 Dark hair and usually are of African, or Aboriginal descent. Can tan despite their black skin. Never sunburn. Usually tans indoors for the health benefits of moderate exposure to sunlight and/or medical reasons.
Infrared Sauna BenefitsInfrared is the band of light we perceive as heat. We cannot see this band of light with the naked eye, but we can feel this type of light in the form of heat. Our sun produces most of its energy output in the infrared segment of the spectrum. Infrared rays heat your body without having to heat the air in-between, through a process called conversion. Only far infrared penetrates organic substances such as the human body so that the warming effect is very uniform.
Infrared Saunas differ from traditional saunas as it uses infrared energy to directly penetrate into the body’s tissue up to 1.5 inches to produce sweating. Lower temperatures make the environment more tolerable, while also allowing you to breath easier. Infrared energy is not only safe, but is also highly beneficial for our bodies. Far Infrared lamps are actively used for medical treatments by physicians and chiropractors, as well as physical and massage therapists.
Infrared Saunas are linked with treating & preventing:
- Body Detoxification
- Immune System Enhancement
- Pain Relief From Arthritis
- Helps Reduce Cellulite
- Skin Beautification
- Decreases Joint Stiffness
- Eases Muscle Spasms
- Increases Blood Circulation
- Cardiovascular Conditioning
- Helps Remove Scars, Rashes, and Acne
- Reduces Stress and Fatigue
- Calorie Consumption and Weight Loss
Infrared Sauna TipsFollow these tips to make the most of your infrared sauna experience.
1. Take a hot/warm shower or bath before using your sauna to help you perspire more.
2. Drink water prior to, during, and after your sauna session to replenish body fluids.
3. To regulate the set temperature inside the sauna to your comfort level, use the movable roof ventilation.
4. At the first sign of a cold or flu, increasing your sauna sessions may be beneficial in boosting your immune system and decreasing the reproductive rate of viruses.
5. To help relieve sore and tense muscles, massage the affected areas during your sauna session.
6. After the sauna session is over, your body will continue to perspire. It is important not to take a shower or bath immediately after your sauna. After about 30 minutes and when your body has completely cooled down, you can take a shower to rinse the perspiration off your body.
7. Do not use the sauna immediately following strenuous exercises. Wait at least 30 minutes to allow the body to cool down completely.
8. Pregnant or possibly pregnant women should contact their physician prior to using the sauna. Excessive temperature has a high potential for causing fetal damage during pregnancy.
9. Hyperthermia Danger: the normal body temperature can’t rise above 39°C (103°F). Symptoms of excessive hyperthermia include dizziness, lethargy, drowsiness, and fainting. The effects of excessive hyperthermia may include failure to perceive heat, physical inability to exit sauna, unawareness of impending hazard, unconsciousness and fetal damage in pregnant women. Hyperthermia could make your body’s core temperature rise. Setting desired temperature to an excessively high temperature is not recommended.
10. The use of alcohol, drugs, or medications prior to or during the sauna session may lead to unconsciousness and/or other harmful physical injuries.
11. Persons suffering from obesity or with a medical history of heart disease, low or high blood pressure, circulatory system problems, or diabetes should consult a physician prior to using the sauna.
12. Persons using medications should consult a physician before using the sauna. Some medications may induce drowsiness while others may affect the heart rate, blood pressure, and/or blood circulation.
13. Never sleep inside the sauna.
Sunless BenefitsThere are many benefits to be had from sunless tanning! Here are just a few:
1. Some of us tolerate our freckles; some of us hate them! Love them or hate them, we know that it is sun exposure that triggers them. With sunless tanning products, you can help make those freckles appear less obvious.
2. For some of us, it is quite simply impossible to get a natural tan. Sunless tanners are literally the only option.
3. Consider the convenience – a matter of some minutes with a spray tan versus spending hours in the sun or a tanning bed over the course of several days to develop a healthy UV tan.
4. A sunless tan is a useful way to cover up the blemishes. Uneven skin tone, scars and even those spider veins are effortlessly hidden from sight.
5. Another benefit of sunless tanning is that it allows you to go au naturale. Skip the foundation and the blush and let your smooth, beautifully bronzed skin shine through!
The following short video will give you an idea of what your experience will be like:
Teeth Whitening BenefitsThe benefits of teeth whitening are many. Here are just a few to consider:
1. According to a national survey by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 96% of adults believe an attractive smile makes a person more appealing to the opposite gender, and 74% of adults feel an unattractive smile can hurt a person’s chances for career success. Having a clean, straight smile that you feel confident about enhances your social and career opportunities.
2. Improves appearance dramatically – it is an excellent way to improve one’s appearance and this is mainly the reason why people usually have their teeth whitened and why teeth whitening has become widely popular among the 21st century crowd. Having a beautiful smile is now within the reach of anybody who wants it.
3. Boosts self-confidence – looking good very often influences how people feel about themselves. Therefore, the teeth whitening process also improves a person’s self-confidence and the personal feel-good factor.
4. Improves attractiveness – it is easier to kiss someone who has excellent looking teeth rather than one who has brown, gray or yellow stained teeth.
5. Is very affordable – in general teeth whitening has become one of the favorite ways of improving appearance for the simple reason that it is fast and affordable. You can change your appearance a great deal with a simple teeth whitening procedure, rather than having a wardrobe makeover.
6. A whiter smile tends to minimize the appearance of facial wrinkles, giving way to a more youthful and energetic appearance.
7. Finally, one of the biggest advantages of teeth whitening is that it does not have any harmful side effects on your teeth – teeth in need of whitening are not in any kind of disorder; it is just that they are stained.
Teeth Whitening TipsChoose the Right Lipstick Shade
Did you know certain lip colors can actually make your teeth look significantly whiter (or darker)? Learn how to pick the right shade for you. If you have grayish teeth, avoid red lipsticks with blue tones and instead try a cooler tone with a brown base. Nude pinks with an almost brownish hue are best. If you have a yellow or off-white tone to your teeth, avoid deep, dark and bright shades, as well as super-shiny glosses.
Go For a Bronzed Look
Tan, golden skin goes a long way toward making your eyes and teeth pop. Whether at the beach or with UV or Sunless beds, give your skin an even, healthy-looking glow.
Whiten While You Chew
While certain foods such as soy sauce, berries and curry stain your enamel, fibrous foods like apples, celery, carrots, spinach, broccoli and lettuce actually work to remove stains by exfoliating teeth before the stain molecules attach themselves deeply to the surface. It’s like a skin scrub for your smile.
Pick Rhinestone and Silver Jewelry
Need another reason to add more sparkle to your outfit? Wearing accessories made of silver, white gold and diamonds (or even fake diamonds!) highlights the white accents in your teeth. However, stay away from yellow gold, it exaggerates any yellowish tones in the enamel.
Dress to Impress
A bright white shirt will only accentuate less-than-white teeth. Instead, choose an off-white or cream-colored shade. Reducing the contrast will result in the appearance of a whiter smile.
Drink Through a Straw
Red wine, cranberry juice or any chromogenic, or pigmented, liquids that tend to seep into enamel are better sipped through a straw. Even then, brush immediately after drinking a stain-producing beverage so that it doesn’t have a chance to set into the tooth’s molecules.
Invest in an Electric Toothbrush
A product that has stood the test of time is the electric toothbrush. These devices are the most effective at removing extrinsic stains, which are embedded on the exterior of the tooth surface (such as in the calculus or plaque) and result from repeated interaction with food debris, tobacco smoke, wine and other sources